Re: Status for GSoC project : Improve logm,sqrtm and funm

From: Svante Signell
Subject: Re: Status for GSoC project : Improve logm,sqrtm and funm
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 17:50:21 +0200

On Tue, 2015-10-20 at 18:40 +0100, Carnë Draug wrote:
> On 20 October 2015 at 16:07, Mudit Sharma <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > All,
> > I would like to know the status of
> > the project:Improve logm,sqrt,funmn
> >  as it was being done for GSoC'15.
> > I am concerned for it as I have interests in doing it even without any
> > funding.
> Hi Mudit
>
> The student stopped replying 1-2 weeks after the start and we never heard
> from him again.  He failed on the midterm evaluation, having made pretty
> much no work.
>
> If you wish to work on this, you should speak with Marco Caliari
> (cc'ed on this email) as he has details on what algorithms to try
> to implement, including source code to start the work.

Hi, sorry for chiming in here, but anyway. I see that the expm implementation in
octave only use Pade approximation to calculate the matrix exponential. I have
an implementation I made in Fortran 77 in the late 90's. It uses scaling, pade
approximation and squaring. The main application was for stiff differential
matrix state-space equations. I have a few questions:

1) How much work is it to call that Fortran code from Octave?
2) Do you have some real difficult test examples, including execution times and
memory requirements?
3) I a .c/.c++ or .m implementation preferred to Fortran?