Making unique() semantics compatible with MATLAB

From: Danny Goodman
Subject: Making unique() semantics compatible with MATLAB
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 21:51:50 -0700

Hi Octave Developers,

A MATLAB function I tried to run just broke because the 'unique()' function behaves differently between Octave and MATLAB. Specifically, consider this example:

A = [9 2 9 5];
[C1, ia1, ic1] = unique(A)

MATLAB returns column vectors for ia1, ic1 but Octave returns row vectors. Being new to this mailing list, I wanted to ask for advice before submitting a patch to fix this. Am I right that one of the goals of the Octave project is to be able to run MATLAB code as is?

Thanks,
Danny