Re: pytave: adding exec and eval commands

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: pytave: adding exec and eval commands
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 23:09:03 -0700

On 06/04/16 10:39, Mike Miller wrote:
> I don't know if you saw my comments on bitbucket, but it would be better
> to use bookmarks than branches for commits intended for the default
> branch. Mercurial bookmarks are more equivalent to git feature branches.
>
> I've applied your changes to pytave now. You can strip the feature
> branches from your repository, look under settings.

Thanks... I found "Strip changesets" with a scary warning...?  And I'm
not sure which "Revision to strip".

For now, on my local machine, I just cloned a new copy from
bitbucket.org/miller.

Will report back when I have it compiling again.

> Since your package is probably the biggest driver of these improvements
> at this point, I'm looking forward to your ideas or contributions to
> help make it work better with Octave. For example automatic importing of
> packages, as in the py function, does not work with pyeval yet.

I'm not sure I care much about this feature.  As I have blocks of code,
these typically have explicit imports.  Agree its nice for the `py`
interface.

Perhaps biggest feature (starting point for GSoC?) would be some
mechanism for pure m-file callback in the conversion routines that
convert python objects to Octave.  Although its possible we can revisit
the way `sym` objects are represented: e.g., just leave them as Python
objects...

I haven't yet played with Matlab's newish `py`, nor really read their
docs.  But I assume it would be good to be somewhat compatible.

Colin