Interested in maintaining the gsl package.

From: Steven Wasserbaech
Subject: Interested in maintaining the gsl package.
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 03:20:55 +0000

Greetings.  I use Octave to make graphs and animations for the physics courses I teach.  I recently had a need for some special functions that are found in the Gnu Scientific Library, which led me to the unmaintained Octave package gsl.  I was able to make it work, but now I feel compelled to do what is necessary to make gsl available to all as an officially maintained package.  I am wondering whether I would actually be capable of doing the job.

I have >30 years of experience with programming in the field of experimental particle physics, but I have relatively little experience with source code management systems and I have never tried to build any Octave package from the source.

If I could receive a little orientation (without being a burden on anyone), I would like to give it a try.  What do you think?  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Steve Wasserbaech

Department of Physics

Utah Valley University