Re: Forge package not in forge hg repositories

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Forge package not in forge hg repositories
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 21:46:06 +0100

On 25 March 2016 at 01:45, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 2:37 AM, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 22 March 2016 at 22:50, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I have a package that is generated form an external repository using a
>>> script. How can we have these package hosted at forge?
>>
>> Can you give more details?  Is this a matlab project that your script
>> repackages into an Octave package?  Is that a C library and you have
>> a script that generates an automatic wrapper into Octave types?  Something
>> else?
>
> It is a script that repackages this package
> http://www.gaussianprocess.org/gpml/code/matlab/doc/
> I have a repository here https://bitbucket.org/KaKiLa/gpml/src
>

>>> Do we accept packages in forge that do not have repositories in forge?
>>
>> No.
>
> Ok, so we mirror my repository? or what is the way to go?

Have you approached them to have them do this?  I would prefer if this was
done by them and they upload the releases (or that if you do this, you do
it on their behalf with their permission).

They have released a gpml package that they claim works in Octave.  You
have modified it and created a package with the same name and version
number that it can be installed with Octave pkg.  I don't think we should
be doing that.

But there is an issue with packages that are released elsewhere.  We have
our release check and have previously rejected releases so it becomes an
issue if they are released somewhere else first.  This is the reason why
I have never even suggested bioformats [2] to release their package in OF
(I have added an Octave package target to their build system).

So unless upstream is involved, and understanding how things work in OF,
I don't think we should be releasing their package.

Carnë

[1] http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.1.8/