Re: regarding location of Matlab compatible polygon functions

From: LachlanA
Subject: Re: regarding location of Matlab compatible polygon functions
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 18:50:02 -0700 (PDT)

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
> The issue at the end is that we are working with a pretty primitive
> way fo adding dependencies and we need to live with it.

I agree.  It would be nice for Octave to do what some TeX installations do:
if a package is not installed then if an component in it is referred to and
an Internet connection can be established, the package is just downloaded
and installed.  Of course, it would be good to prompt the users, indicating
the download size and installed size.

Aside from permissions issues (is there a safe way to allow Octave to write
to /usr/local? **) I think that would be a nice model to aim for.  Then it
doesn't matter too much where functions are located, and the smaller the
package the better.  (In answer to Carnë's question, in that world we may
want packages containing a single function that is isarray...  Of course,
that may make release management much messier so most packages would be
larger than a single function.)

** I notice that the current install makes
/usr/local/share/octave/octave-4.1.0+ owned by root.  Would it be sensible
to create an Octave group to allow Octave to install new packages safely?
I've never delved into Octave's package installation process.

Cheers,
Lachlan