Re: Interested in maintaining the gsl package.

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Interested in maintaining the gsl package.
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 13:11:02 +0100

On 7 April 2016 at 04:20, Steven Wasserbaech <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings.  I use Octave to make graphs and animations for the physics
> courses I teach.  I recently had a need for some special functions that are
> found in the Gnu Scientific Library, which led me to the unmaintained Octave
> package gsl.  I was able to make it work, but now I feel compelled to do
> what is necessary to make gsl available to all as an officially maintained
> package.  I am wondering whether I would actually be capable of doing the
> job.
>
> I have >30 years of experience with programming in the field of experimental
> particle physics, but I have relatively little experience with source code
> management systems and I have never tried to build any Octave package from
> the source.
>
> If I could receive a little orientation (without being a burden on anyone),
> I would like to give it a try.  What do you think?  Thank you.

Hi Steven

You're welcome to help and take maintenance of the gsl package.  We can
help and give some orientation but we need a specific question.  Can you
be more specific on what issue you have at the moment?

Ideally, you would clone the mercurial repository of the gsl package [1],
make some local commits (csets) with your changes, and push them to some
public repo.  This would allow us to review your changes and pull them into
the official repository.  Alternatively, you can export your csets into
files (imagine patch files signed your named, date, and a commit message)
to the bug tracker for review and manual import by Octave Forge developers.

It may be worth to come to #octave at irc.freenode.net.

Carnë

[1] http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/gsl
[2] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave