Re: More Zernike polynomial related stuff for the Optics Package

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: More Zernike polynomial related stuff for the Optics Package
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 09:26:23 +0200

> Am 04.04.2016 um 21:38 schrieb Ulf Griesmann:
>> I like the growing Optics package for Octave ! We have, over the years,
>> assembled a lot of Zernike polynomial related functions and I thought
>> you might be interested in using some of our work to extend the
>> capability of the Octave Optics package. I have attached the functions
>> for you to have a look at. All functions are in the Public Domain. If
>> you are interested in incorporating some this into the Optics package
>> I'd be willing to help with the conversion to Octave and with sorting
>> out any incompatibilities.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>    Ulf

Hi Ulf,
thank you for your email. Is there a public source of your code, perhaps
a git, mercurial, svn repo?

As you can see here there are already some functions which uses zernike
polynomials:
http://octave.sourceforge.net/optics/function/zernike_cartesian.html but
I'm happy if we could add more. If we merge them we should also add some
tests and demos.

@maintainers: Is there a problem to add code which is in the public
domain to forge packages? The optics package itself is GPLv3+

The scripts in question have this part:

% This software was developed at the National Institute of Standards and
Technology
 by employees of the Federal Government in the course of their official
duties.
 Pursuant to title 17 Section 105 of the United States Code this
software is not
 subject to copyright protection and is in the public domain. This
software is an
 experimental system. NIST assumes no responsibility whatsoever for its
use by other
 parties, and makes no guarantees, expressed or implied, about its
quality, reliability,
 or any other characteristic.

%

% This software can be redistributed and/or modified freely provided
that any derivative
 works bear some notice that they are derived from it, and any modified
versions bear
 some notice that they have been modified.
 We would appreciate acknowledgement if the software is used.

-- Andy