Re: Support for Matlab's 7.3 file format

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Support for Matlab's 7.3 file format
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 01:58:12 -0700 (PDT)

Pantxo wrote

> LachlanA wrote
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> I'd like to be able to read Matlab v7.3 HDF5 files, since I need to work
>> with >2GB files.  Does anyone have any tips?  From bug #45706, I assume
>> it is still unsupported.
>>
>> In 2007, Christopher Hulbert said that he had started writing code to
>> read v7.3 files
>> [http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/New-undocumented-mat-file-format-tc1645399.html],
>> but I haven't seen signs of that in the code.
>>
>> In 2013 at
>> [http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Reading-Matlab-td4650158.html], jwe
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The code in Octave for handling HDF5 files was written long before
>>> Matlab's save function was changed to create HDF5 files, and is only
>>> intended to read HDF5 files that Octave itself creates.
>>>
>>> Are you interested in contributing code to support Matlab's new HDF5
>>> save format?  If so, let's discuss your plans on the maintainers list.
>>
>> I know basically nothing about hdf5 and so have no "plans", but would
>> like to have a (slow) go at this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lachlan
> Hi,
>
> I think supporting ML 7.3 format boils down to having better hdf5
> capabilities. There is an ongoing work for supporting h5read/write that
> looks very promising but that no one found the time to review, see this
> patch:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8607

I remember having tried the patch #8607; it built but didn't work for the
files I needed it for. It also had consequences for some OF packages.
As outlined in the patch 8607 comments all developers had other priorities
(get 4.0.0 released).
But I'd like to give it a try again.

When discussing classdef (that AFAIK needs hdf5 to store its objects on
file) JWE also mentioned this:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/classdef-is-pretty-good-now-inputParser-implemented-in-core-What-now-How-to-document-classdef-classe-tt4666168.html#a4666182

Philip