Re: regarding location of Matlab compatible polygon functions

From: LachlanA
Subject: Re: regarding location of Matlab compatible polygon functions
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 19:14:24 -0700 (PDT)

PhilipNienhuis wrote
> Your first argument ("Matlab ... good enough") is, well, a good opinion.
>
> But that second argument, "one less thing to argue about", can also be
> perceived as a way to simply evade discussion.
> Extending that a little, what's the whole point of Octave when "Matlab
> is good enough" ? If all of us here just stop with Octave we'd be free
> of any arguing whatsoever.

I think that most Octave users are people looking for a free alternative to
Matlab -- that is certainly my motivation.  (I could get a Matlab license
through work, but I like the notion of "libre" software.)

To help those users, it would be nice to make it easy to install "all
packages to give the functionality of Matlab toolbox XYZ".  That doesn't
require that all of the functions of that toolbox be in the same package.
However, having a general alignment would make that functionality easier to
maintain.

I have not opinion on this particular package, but I like the idea that the
"default" is to mirror Matlab's toolboxes, but if a package maintainer
and/or code contributor believes that a deviation is justified then that
should be precluded.

Cheers,
Lachlan