Re: Removing Java dialog boxes.

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Removing Java dialog boxes.
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 20:52:10 +0100

On 16 April 2016 at 06:25, LachlanA <address@hidden> wrote:
> Kai,
>
> In general, I'm in favour of removing dead code.
>
> If these are only used when the Qt libraries are not installed, I assume
> that they are for users running from a terminal rather than the GUI.  Would
> you replace the dialog boxes with a text dialog at the prompt, or how would
> some functionality be lost?  I assume that I'm not alone in running the CLI
> for big jobs to free up memory...

You can have qt widgets even when running from the CLI (use the --no-gui
option instead of the octave-cli executable).

Actually memory wise, you will use more memory using the java dialogs
because that requires a JVM running.  Just check the memory being used
after you call listdlg in "octave-cli" vs "octave --no-gui".

Carnë