Re: Help strings in the text body of the manual

From: LachlanA
Subject: Re: Help strings in the text body of the manual
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 20:29:39 -0700 (PDT)

Doug Stewart-4 wrote
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Pantxo Diribarne <

> pantxo.diribarne@

>> wrote:
>>> An example in the plotting section:
>>
>> https://gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Two_002dDimensional-Plots.html#Two_002dDimensional-Plots
>>
>> A bit of text, then a block of 5 help strings, then a bit of text and
>> then an endless list of help strings.
>>

> I don't see what you are talking about. Can you explain it more fully?

I can't say what Pantxo objected to, but I see this section of the manual as
an alphabetic list of functions, with no linking of them.  A manual may be
expected, for example, to explain the relationship between "rose" (an
angular histogram) and "hist", and discuss the two together rather than
separated by all of the functions i-q.

It would be useful to have short section allowing the reader to decide
*which* function to call, with only a hyperlink to show *how* to call each
option.

Having said that, I have almost never looked at the manual.  Finding what I
want in a 1000 page document is too hard.  Perhaps Pantxo's suggestion could
reduce the manual to a 200 page document, with 800 pages of appendix -- or
perhaps each chapter could have a short "synthesis" section with this sort
of discussion, followed by (and hyperlinked to) its own function list.

$0.02,
Lachlan