Re: Help strings in the manual

From: Michael Godfrey
Subject: Re: Help strings in the manual
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 09:01:26 -0400

On 04/25/2016 08:05 PM, Rik wrote:
4/25/16

I think it is important to agree on the purpose of the octave.pdf file.  In
its current implementation it is the Language Reference Manual (LRM) for
Octave.  This means it needs to cover every aspect of the core language,
and that necessarily makes it long.  Furthermore, because it is a
reference, not an introduction or tutorial, the language is often terse.
This is probably just as well because more natural language would only make
the LRM yet longer.

Personally, I don't start with the Table of Contents and then read a
chapter of the manual.  Instead, I start with the concept index or the
function index which then takes me directly through hyperlinks to the area
that I'm interested in.

--Rik

Rik,

It appears to me that the HTML version of the manual (at
octave/doc/interpreter/octave.html) has essentially the same content as the PDF. Would it make sense to focus on enhancing the HTML and possibly providing more
introductory material there? Or, do you want the HTML and PDF to remain "the
same"?

Michael