Need guidance with integrating Octave and my toy framework (SignalBlocks

From: Neeraj Sharma
Subject: Need guidance with integrating Octave and my toy framework (SignalBlocks)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 11:15:55 +0000

Hi,

I am the author/creator of an open source (GPLv3) project (SignalBlocks - https://github.com/neeraj9/SignalBlocks), which is an attempt to build a system by putting together blocks of logic and connecting them together. The framework is written in C++11 along with a python plugin framework (though untested). I initially thought of writing a framework in pure python but then chose c++ and a plugin system for supporting python (with numpy as well) for various reasons. The framework heavily relies on templates and c++11 features. The operating system supported at present is GNU/Linux, but I have plans to support OSX as well.

The project provides a framework for writing logic blocks and integrate in the overall system to run simulations. As an example there is a demo (https://github.com/neeraj9/SignalBlocks/tree/master/examples/websocket_demo) c++ source which reads audio from a file and then stream the output to a remote html5 app via an integrated websocket server. There is an associated html5 app as well to display live stream of signal output (similar to Matlab's simulink scope).

Octave being an open source alternative to Matlab was always on my system post college and I am evaluating how SignalBlocks can be friends with Octave. Having said that I am not sure of any existing implementation (already into Octave or available independently). I dont know how octave works under the hood and need guidance/comments of integrating my project with octave. I am not even sure whether it would make more sense to integrate SignalBlocks in octave or the reverse. Do let me know your thoughts/comments.

Thanks for your time

-Neeraj