Re: the nvidia/osmesa dilema

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: the nvidia/osmesa dilema
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 11:32:38 -0500

On 05/04/2016 10:56 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 05/04/2016 11:49 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 10:43:34 -0500, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

That, or fix the issue with nVidia off-screen printing.

True.

Yes, obviously this would be the best solution.  Can you help?  Please
take a look at the most recent 4 comments posted to the following bug
report, for example:

   https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?47372

Is the above the same issue as that in https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44478 ? The former reads like a more particular bug, the latter more an issue with initializing the OpenGL-FLTK environment on a multi-threaded system. At least that is what I understand.

Could someone summarize what the issue is?

If the core problem with building documentation is that there is no graphics initialization in the thread doing the graphics commands because the GUI isn't launched during build (I think that is what I'm getting from the posts at ?44478), then perhaps the solution is to figure out a way to use the graphics code in a single thread if the GUI is not launched. And maybe that makes sense, don't know. I mean, if someone is doing a non-native build on computer A (non-threaded) for computer B (threaded) then the graphics images couldn't be built for the documentation on computer A. Of course, the odds of someone even owning computer A these days are next to nil--but it is the idea of Octave not requiring multiple threads if not in GUI mode, if that is something to aim for.

Dan