Re: the nvidia/osmesa dilema

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: the nvidia/osmesa dilema
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 16:15:41 -0500

On 05/04/2016 11:58 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 05/04/2016 12:47 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 05/04/2016 06:36 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
hi all,

We still have this issue with building the documentation and running
tests (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44478) that casues segfaults
when the user is running with nvidia drivers.

I keep forgetting that the system I have with an nvidia graphics card is
using the nouveau driver, not the proprietary nvidia driver.  So I'll
try installing the nvidia driver and see if I can reproduce the crash.

OK, with the nvidia driver installed, I get a crash for the following:

   figure visible off
   sombrero
   print invisible.pdf

I'll try to do some debugging soon.

Both

  nvidia-340 (recommended)
  Version 340.96-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
  NVIDIA binary driver - version 340.96

and

  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open-source)
  Version 1:1.0.10-1ubuntu2
  X.Org X server - Nouveau display driver

work with the above set of commands when launching the GUI, and the former works for

  run-octave --no-gui
  run-octave --no-window-system

But the documentation still fails with an "octave exited with signal 11" error message. There could be multi issues here. I'll try isolating the documentation build issue.

Dan