Re: improvements in function kmeans.m

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: improvements in function kmeans.m
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 09:44:57 -0400

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 8:53 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
I tried a few times to open an account for creating a bug/patch ticket, but still I have not received the email from you for verifying the email address. In that case I send you the modification in the attached code along with a test-case. For the attached test-case the modified code runs x 120 faster, depending on the data-size. Thank you.

On 12 April 2016 at 22:29, wrote:
> I used recently the function "kmeans" and I made a few changes in the code
> that make it faster (at lease 2.8 times) and improve the convergence
> criterion. I would like to send these modifications to you if you like.
> Please you may let me know how to do that.

You should open a bug or patch report at the octave tracker [1]. Then,
to actually submit a patch, the possible ways are, in order of "ideality":

1. have a clone of the statistics package somewhere from where we can
import your changes;
2. attach a cset file with your changes [2] which we can import with hg;
3. attach a simple patch file;
4. attach your modified kmeans function file.

Carnë

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave
[2] http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Basics-of-Generating-a-Changeset.html

You should be able to submit a bug report without being logged in. did you try this? you can add your email address at the bottom under "mail notification CC" so that you get copied on all correspondence. Doing that and attaching this modified file and test case will be a good first start to getting the code incorporated into Octave.  You can let this list know if you have problems doing the anonymous submission.

Nick J.