Re: Matlab p files

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Matlab p files
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 18:44:53 +0200

Le 25/05/2016 17:30, Juan Pablo Carbajal a écrit :
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Julien Bect
<address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Someone asked on the help list about running Matlab P-files in Octave.

I tried to answer that in the FAQ :
http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#How_do_I_run_a_Matlab_P-file_in_Octave.3F.

Just wanted to check here that what I wrote is OK before answering on the
help list...

@++
Julien

If the code is just obfuscated and not encrypted; that is, it is just
very complex and hard to understand valid matlab commands; then .p
files can be run in octave using the function source

I guess Mathworks has different definitions of "obfuscated" and "encrypted", then. Their documentation says that it is "obfuscated but not encrypted" (see http://fr.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/pcode.html). And yet, the result is not a valid M-file. I guess they refrain from using the term "encryted" because they don't want users to believe that it is securely encryted.

My question regarding the FAQ entry was more specifically about the second part (that I have temporarily removed).  My point was to answer the question "is there any plan to support running Matlab P-files in Octave ?".  I believe(d) that the correct answer would be: running Matlab P-files will never be supported, unless a public specification of Matlab's P-file format is made available...

Actually, I'm not sure at all about the correct answer to this question.  I would like to hear from Octave's core developers about that.