Re: The Feynman Lectures on Physics Online Edition

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: The Feynman Lectures on Physics Online Edition
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 15:33:04 +0200

On 12.01.2016 18:59, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
> On 12.01.2016 11:16, Michael A. Gottlieb wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Michael Godfrey forwarded the following to me from this list, written by
>> John S.:
>>

>>     This [online edition of The Feynman Lectures] does not render well
>>     in my browser. The MathJax numbers use a different font with a
>>     different weight compared to the surrounding text, which looks very bad.
>>
>>     MathJax looks bad in Google Chrome on OSX unless I right click and
>>     go choose Math Settings-Math Renderer and select SVG as the
>>     renderer. The HTML-CSS, Common HTML (which was the default), and
>>     Fast HTML all look really bad for me.
>>

>> This concerns me because I am the editor of The Feynman Lectures on
>> Physics (FLP) and the publisher of the online edition. I also find it
>> surprising because I use Google Chrome on OSX and don't see any problems
>> with the rendering of mathematics by MathJax in the online edition of FLP.
>>
>> That  VG rendering works right but HTML-CSS doesn't on your system
>> suggests a font problem... but (if you haven't changed the MathJax
>> defaults) any fonts missing from your OS should be downloaded
>> automatically when they are needed.
>>
>> I would like to help resolve this problem, if I can.
>>
>> Mike Gottlieb
>
> Well, “looking bad” is a bit harsh.  Most visitors don't have an eye for
> these details and won't even notice.  Please look at the screenshots
> attached to get an impression.  There seems to be a font problem on my
> system.  I have disabled any adblockers and do not enforce particular
> fonts in my browser.  Text zoom is at 100%.
>
> There is a very short period of time during page load when the font
> looks good.  But then MathJax changes fonts.
>
> Looking at the DOM, I can see “font-size: 113%” for all MathJax frames.
>  This seem to cause the too big fonts and also some bad extra margin to
> the left.  Maybe you can disable this font-enlargement in MathJax.
>
> Oliver

Hi Michael,

I could find the cause for the ugly increased font-size on my system by
playing around with MathJax (see [1]). It is caused by the
“matchFontHeight” option, which is enabled by default. It does a bad job
on my system and increases the font size (don't know why).

When I disable this in MathJax, the FLP math looks good to me.

Best
Oliver

[1]
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Latex-equation-support-in-the-documentation-created-by-generate-html-package-td4677129.html