Re: The Feynman Lectures on Physics Online Edition

From: Michael A. Gottlieb
Subject: Re: The Feynman Lectures on Physics Online Edition
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 06:44:25 -0600

Dear Oliver,

Here are the results of yesterday's survey:

Most of my colleagues prefer "matchFontHeight: false" in the online edition of FLP, However some prefer "matchFontHeight: true," which increases the math font size by 11%, making it bigger than the body text, and that does not look very good, as you have noted. However, I made some careful measurements and discovered that "matchFontHeight: false" leaves the mathematics somewhat smaller than our (Georgia font) body text, which also does not look very good. So, what I've done is this: In the "HTML-CSS" section of Mathjax.Hub.Config I set  "matchFontHeight: false" but also "scale: 106" which increases the math font size by 6%. This gives a good match to our body text. I also edited "styles" to make the top and bottom margin around display equations 15% smaller (reducing them from 1em to .85em). And finally, in the "Tex" section of Mathjax.Hub.Config I changed TagIndent to 0.25em; previously it was set to 0em, which allowed the equation numbers to crowd wider equations on narrower displays.

I consider the overall improvement to be considerable, so thanks once again for bringing matchFontHeight to my attention.

Best regards,
Mike