Re: Pytave - (probably mercurial) - - Question

From: Abhinav Tripathi
Subject: Re: Pytave - (probably mercurial) - - Question
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 22:45:42 +0530

Thanks Mike. I just saw your mail. (Probably my gmail client stuck and didn't load it)

> I would add that in git a branch may have only one HEAD. Git will abort
> and tell you you can't do that if you try to check out a previous
> revision of a branch and commit a new HEAD that diverges, you *must*
> give it a new branch name first.
>
> In hg you can easily check out an earlier revision (such as a
> collaborator's development head) and commit a new revision, creating a
> new head of development on the same branch.
>
> Bookmarks are just a way to give temporary names to these development
> heads. But you could easily not use bookmarks and just `hg up` to one
> revision ID or another.

So, bookmarks are, sort of, 'branches of branches'?

> The 'default' branch is the convention for the primary development
> branch. The 'default' branch may contain multiple development heads,
> such as different feature sets being worked on in parallel or different
> developers' separate clones.
>
> The '@' bookmark is the convention used as the default development head,
> if it exists. If you don't have '@' and you don't use bookmarks, you
> would just commit on 'default'.

I remember seeing' default' on using 'hg branch'.. I checked and yes all my commits keep getting there if I do' hg checkout default'
.

> I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, can you clarify "behave like
> a git branch"? What feature of a git branch are you hoping for?

Sorry, I was just asking about not having commits which are in remote bookmark.
Say my remote bookmark is:
S->H->L
while my local bookmark is (maybe different name) :
S->A->B
.
if A, B don't conflict with H, L can I somehow force push or merge the local bookmark into remote one?

> Another difference that you may be interested in is that `hg push`
> pushes everything by default, git does not. If you want to only push a
> particular revision or bookmark, you *must* *always* use `hg push -r
> something`. And you *must* use `hg push -B bookmark` to make sure the
> bookmark is pushed to the remote repository at least the first time (if
> you want to share it).

Thanks. Got it.

Abhinav