Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 17:01:22 -0700

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 08:52:46 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> > --- ee130002001
[…]
> >>  Abhinav address@hidden /cygdrive/e/My_Repos/pytave
> >>  $ ./configure OCTAVE_CONFIG=/bin/octave-config
> >>  checking for g++... g++
> >>  checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> >>  checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
> >>  checking for suffix of executables... .exe
> >>  checking whether we are cross compiling... no
> >>  checking for suffix of object files... o
> >>  checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
> >>  checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
> >>  checking for g++ option to enable C++11 features... -std=gnu++11
> >>  checking for gcc... gcc
> >>  checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
> >>  checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> >>  checking for gcc option to enable C11 features... -std=gnu11
> >>  checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu11 -E
> >>  checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile
> >>  checking for octave-config filename... specified /bin/octave-config
> >>  checking for Octave library path... /usr/lib/octave/4.0.1
> >>  checking for Octave include path... /usr/include/octave-4.0.1/octave
> >>  checking whether linking to Octave works... no
> >>  configure: WARNING:
> >>  ========================================================================
> >>  Can not link with Octave.
> >>
> >>  Make sure the Octave development package is installed.
> >>  ========================================================================
> >>  configure: error: in `/cygdrive/e/My_Repos/pytave':
> >>  configure: error: unable to find Octave development files
> >>  See `config.log' for more details

Just like the error message says, we need to see the details in
config.log for why this particular test failed to find the Octave header
files or libraries.

> Hello
>
> I have misled the situation.
>
> Please leave from cygwin.
> The cygwin can be one of the solution but it is not easy.
> What you want to do build Pytave for octave for *native* windows so that
> much better way exist.
>
> First please update your octave for windows to 4.0.2 because 4.0.0 for
> windows is buggy.
> Uninstall 4.0.0 first and install 4.0.2.
> You can find octave 4.0.2 on https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/

Actually I would recommend going to the development branch of Octave for
use with pytave. So if it's possible to build Octave from an hg clone in
the msys environment, that would be best. Second best would be running
'make dist' of a development version of Octave on a GNU/Linux system,
copying the tarball over to Windows, and building from the source
distribution in the msys environment.

Tatsuro, have you successfully built Octave's default branch in msys?

> Follow the instruction for build octave on windows.
> > http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-build-on-windows-using-octave-binary-itself-tp4676652.html
>

> First install Msys2 using information the above and update using information
> of msys2 in the above and below
> https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation/
>
> After update core and basic tools, install base-devel toolchain.
> pacman -S --needed base-devel msys/dos2unix
>
> If you need additional tools like mercurial execute the below from msys2
> prompt.
> $ pacman -S mercurial
>
> After Msys2 installed, follow the instruction for building octave.
> At the bash prompt
> you can try the usual unixy way.
>
> Octave itself uses msys but not msys2.
> But for both , drive C:/ is treated as /c/.

Thanks for the details on setting this up.

--
mike