Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 09:22:42 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: Mike Miller
> To: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
> Cc: Abhinav Tripathi ; Colin Macdonald ; "Octave-maintainers
> Date: 2016/6/6, Mon 09:01
> Subject: Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

<snip>
>>  Hello
>>
>>  I have misled the situation.
>>
>>  Please leave from cygwin.
>>  The cygwin can be one of the solution but it is not easy.
>>  What you want to do build Pytave for octave for *native* windows so that
>>  much better way exist.
>>
>>  First please update your octave for windows to 4.0.2 because 4.0.0 for
> windows is buggy.
>>  Uninstall 4.0.0 first and install 4.0.2.
>>  You can find octave 4.0.2 on https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/
>
> Actually I would recommend going to the development branch of Octave for
> use with pytave. So if it's possible to build Octave from an hg clone in
> the msys environment, that would be best. Second best would be running
> 'make dist' of a development version of Octave on a GNU/Linux system,
> copying the tarball over to Windows, and building from the source
> distribution in the msys environment.
>
> Tatsuro, have you successfully built Octave's default branch in msys?
>
>>  Follow the instruction for build octave on windows.
>>  >
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-build-on-windows-using-octave-binary-itself-tp4676652.html
>>

>>  First install Msys2 using information the above and update using
> information of msys2 in the above and below
>>  https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation/
>>
>>  After update core and basic tools, install base-devel toolchain.
>>  pacman -S --needed base-devel msys/dos2unix
>>
>>  If you need additional tools like mercurial execute the below from msys2
> prompt.
>>  $ pacman -S mercurial
>>
>>  After Msys2 installed, follow the instruction for building octave.
>>  At the bash prompt
>>  you can try the usual unixy way.
>>
>>  Octave itself uses msys but not msys2.
>>  But for both , drive C:/ is treated as /c/.
>
> Thanks for the details on setting this up.

> Tatsuro, have you successfully built Octave's default branch in msys?

I have not tried yet.
If I will take a time I will try it.

But I have the dev version octave for windows built by mxe-octave.
If it is required, I can upload temporally on my web.
(IIRC, jwe do not like to distribute dev brach binaries to avoid confusion.
So I will be able to upload it in short term until Abhinav Tripathi can
download it.)

Tatsuro