Re: Octave for OS X (was: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite)

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Octave for OS X (was: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite)
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 02:09:42 -0700 (PDT)

bpabbott wrote
>> On Jun 5, 2016, at 12:45 PM, Mike Miller <

> mtmiller@

> > wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 21:16:23 -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>> Carne, what about the web site? Do you know if it is improper to link
>>> to the Mac OS X installers on the main page, and the download page?
>>>
>>>     http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/
>>>
>>>     http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html
>>
>> The block of text at the bottom of the main page is a "latest news"
>> feature, it is not supposed to only point at installers. Maybe this
>> should be updated to talk about the current summer of code session.
>>
>> Discussion about whether the official GNU project web site can endorse a
>> binary disk image for OS X that can only be built on OS X will probably
>> have to be treated carefully.
>>
>> One thing at a time, making the installer available via SourceForge
>> sounds like a good first step, and obviously making it more visible on
>> the wiki helped generate interest.
>>
>> --
>> mike
>
> Is the problem that it can only be built on OS X? If not, what if the
> build tools use a license which is compatible with all versions of the GNU
> General Public License? I’m not sure that is the case for the Xcode gui,
> but it appears that is the case for the tools.
>
>       http://opensource.apple.com/release/developer-tools-72/
>
>       https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1815020
>
>       http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#copyright
>
>       https://opensource.org/licenses/UoI-NCSA.php
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Illinois/NCSA_Open_Source_License
>
> Ben

I like to support Ben's statement. The toolchain is free. To my best
knowledge, we are not using or linking to proprietary stuff as Java or
Xcode. The underlying operating system is Darwin which is also free.
However, possibly the creation of the installer itself is based on
proprietary Apple code. If this is the only problem, we could ship a zip
instead of a dmg.

Does anyone know the rules for uploading or hyperlinking stuff on GNU
servers exactly? (the actual wording is probably important)

Sebastian