Re: Octave for OS X (was: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite)

From: edmund ronald
Subject: Re: Octave for OS X (was: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 05:49:23 +0200

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
On Jun 7, 2016, at 9:48 PM, edmund ronald <address@hidden> wrote:

Does anyone here have any GPL-related legal, ideological  or personal objection to my code-signing an OS X binary and distributing it?

Which is the version of the GPL that applies?

BTW, as most here realize, Apple's security architecture is going to create a bunch of headaches with any native Mac distribution - it's going to be a Red Queen situation, with the Mac maintainers running to keep in place ie. keep their binary compatible as Apple's rules change.

Edmund

Can you give us a quick explanation of “code-signing”? Any reason why we can’t do that ourselves and distribute via SourceForge?

Octave uses GPLv3.

Ben

Hi Ben,

 I would assume you can do anything you want :)  and so can I within the limits set by the GPL, that is the beauty of free software.
 The code-signing tech is described here: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Security/Conceptual/CodeSigningGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html
 I believe Sebastian is familiar with it, we discussed it a bit at Octconf.
 I personally feel a bit uneasy about Sourceforge, maybe because of this event: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/sourceforge-grabs-gimp-for-windows-account-wraps-installer-in-bundle-pushing-adware/
 A lot of people seem to be using GIthub these days, both as source and binary repository.

Edmund