Re: Octave financial package

From: Parsiad Azimzadeh
Subject: Re: Octave financial package
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 14:32:48 +0000

Hi Guillermo,

Thanks for the interest.

There are lots of ways to contribute to the financial package. You can clone any missing functionality from the MATLAB financial toolbox:

http://www.mathworks.com/help/finance/functionlist.html

Let me stress that by "clone", I mean implement the functionality *without* looking at *any* MATLAB source code.

GNU Octave has some coding conventions that you should be aware of:

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.0.0/General-Guidelines.html
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.0.0/Octave-Sources-_0028m_002dfiles_0029.html#Octave-Sources-_0028m_002dfiles_0029

It is also recommended that test cases be written for contributions; you can see examples of this in the financial package code.

A good self-contained project would be to implement the "Portfolio Optimization and Asset Allocation" family of classes and functions. Let me know if this interests you, and if not, I can think of something else. Depending on how comfortable you feel, you may also consider picking a self-contained function or two and taking a crack at that first. Once you have some code down, we can discuss it (though perhaps off the mailing list so that it isn't flooded).

Once you have gotten the hang of things, I can give you write access to a fork of the financial repository https://bitbucket.org/parsiad/octave-financial so that I can merge your commits to the main repo.

Happy coding,
Parsiad