Re: Octave-gui graphics problems

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Octave-gui graphics problems
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 22:07:51 -0500

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:

I was curious so I gave it a try.  Running v4.0.2 on Windows.  32bit, zip file installer on Windows 7.

the 20000 point script worked fine. the 30000 point version took a disproportionately long time, saved a file that looks ok but I can't verify that all 30000 points are there, but produced the following output:

>> print t2.pdf
GL2PS info: OpenGL feedback buffer overflow
GL2PS info: OpenGL feedback buffer overflow
GL2PS info: OpenGL feedback buffer overflow
GL2PS info: OpenGL feedback buffer overflow
GL2PS info: OpenGL feedback buffer overflow

​I tried it on different machines and execution time varies tremendously depending on the
graphics hardware.
On ​Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
(integrated Intel graphics) it took 1129 seconds:

>> graphics_toolkit qt
>> x=randn(30000,1);
>> plot(x,'.')
>> tic ; print t4.pdf ; toc
GL2PS info: OpenGL feedback buffer overflow
GL2PS info: OpenGL feedback buffer overflow
GL2PS info: OpenGL feedback buffer overflow
GL2PS info: OpenGL feedback buffer overflow
GL2PS info: OpenGL feedback buffer overflow
Elapsed time is 1129.7 seconds.
(CPU load stayed at about ~45%, Why?)

On AMD 8350 with radeon R5 230 graphics card (an entry level card)
it took just 43 seconds. (54 sec with fltk)
(CPU load ~100%)

​As I could see from Vic's crash log, the program was killed after 605 sec.
Perhaps it was just too slow due to his particular hardware/GL driver combo. ​

​Dmitri.​