Re: bug in try-catch?

From: JuanPi
Subject: Re: bug in try-catch?
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 15:36:24 +0200

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

>> On Jun 10, 2016, at 6:20 AM, JuanPi <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Can anybody corroborate that
>>
>> try error("id", "1\n"); catch err; disp(err.identifier); disp(err.message);
>> end
>>
>> prints nothing for the id and the id for the message (Octave 4.1.0+ and
>> stable)
>>
>> This seems like an bug.
>
> With Matlab 2014a, there is no identifier.
>
> try error('id', '1\n'); catch err; disp(err.identifier); disp(err.message);
> end
> id
>
> err =
>
>   MException with properties:
>
>     identifier: ''
>        message: 'id'
>          cause: {0x1 cell}
>          stack: [0x1 struct]
>
> Ben

oh gosh!
I hope we can use either lasterr or lasterror to emulate matlabs
Idiosyncrasy  and have a proper function on the other one, which
reports id (to filter) and msg (to inform). Note that the latter is
the behavior described in the manual.
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.0.1/Catching-Errors.html

--
JuanPi Carbajal