Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 20:01:35 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----
>From: Abhinav Tripathi
>To: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
>Cc: Colin Macdonald "Octave-maintainers; Mike Miller
>Date: 2016/6/14, Tue 15:18
>Subject: Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin
>

>Hi,
>Thanks to Tatsuro, I was able to install many of the required packages to
>MSYS2 environment....
>Although I have a few questions:
>(Keeping in mind that I want to build PyTave such that it can later be
>distributed and built for users on windows like other octave packages)
>.
>
>1) Should I use mingw64 toolchains (gcc/python...) for building PyTave or the
>gcc I get with 'pacman -S gcc' would do?
For consistency reason, please use MinGW 64 installed in octave/bin directory.
You should not install gcc tool chains of msys2
To use MinGW gcc inside octave start Msys (not msys2) bash from octave prompt

1. Start octave (both gui or cli are OK.)
2. Start msys bash embedded on octave (Note not msys2!)  from octave prompt
 >> system bash

 You will see bash prompt
 bash-3.1$
3. export path from bash

$ export PATH=$PATH:/c/msys64/usr/bin

The above is required to use msys2 tools from msys embedded octave.
Path name should be changed if you install msys2 some other places.
If you use extra tools that should be placed under the path, you can add it.

>2) While building on MSYS2, should I prefer calling .exe files or linux
>executables of the same program (python.exe or python)?

Msys and msys2 have specific executable files that understand unixy path
/usr/local/
While *native* windows  program does not understand such path names. It uses
windows specific path like C:\octave\ (C:/octave/).
Octave for windows itself is native

There two different python binaries on msys2.
Msys2 specific python and windows native (mingw 64) python.
This is very complicated situations.

Msys2 specific python binaries are prepared for building unixy program that
require python on build process.

Windows native (mingw64) python  binaries are prepare for native use on windows.

If you need python for building, install msys2 python from msys2 prompt

In msys2 directory there are three terminal startup program for batch files.
 1. msys2
 2. mingw64 (use this if you use 64 bit program)
 3. mingw32 (use this if you use 32 bit program)

If you want install python on msys2 start msys2 prompt and execute
pacman -S python2
pacman -S python3 # if required.

>3) PyTave has libboost-python as dependency. Should I build boost on windows
>(from source) and then use it somehow on MSYS2 or should I build boost from
>source on the unixy environment of MYSY2?

I do not know libboost and libboost-python so that I cannot give you correct
advises.

I checked packages of Msys2[a] and Mingw64[b]
[a] https://github.com/Alexpux/MSYS2-packages
[b] https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages

It seem that Mingw have boost

To install mingw boost execute on msys2
$ pacman -S  mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-boost # 64 bit
( $ pacman -S  mingw32/mingw-w64-i686-boost # 32 bit )

See:
https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/discussion/general/thread/13a5c241/

If you need build boost on windows with msys2
please refer
https://github.com/gtorrent/gtorrent-core/wiki/Building-on-Windows

>.
>
>Abhinav