Re: Unimplemented graphics properties

From: LachlanA
Subject: Re: Unimplemented graphics properties
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 17:19:58 -0700 (PDT)

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 09:41:34 -0700, Rik wrote:
>> Octave does not yet implement all of the graphics properties supported by
>> Matlab.
>> Currently, when read, these properties return all zeros.  Would it not be
>> better to return NA (Not Applicable) to indicate that these are
>> unsupported?  I think that would be more instructive.
>
> I don't think it would be more helpful or clearer to the end user. But I
> think it might be a useful flag to us when users ask why the value
> contains NA.
>
> mike

It is certainly more useful to maintainers, but I think it would also be
more useful to end users if it is clearly documented in the help page.  (If
I get an error, I seldom look at the PDF manual, but usually check help for
the command.  Perhaps that's just me.)

Either way, giving NA sounds like a good thing to do.

Lachlan