Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 07:33:21 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----
>From: Abhinav Tripathi
>To: mtmiller tmacchant
>Cc: address@hidden
>Date: 2016/6/20, Mon 03:42
>Subject: Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin
>

>Hi,
>I resumed building pytave on windows.
>This time I opened the octave-cli and did 'system bash'.
>Now when I do './configure' then I always get
>'Can not link with octave'
>.
>All the other output is same as before (and correct) including octave library
>and include paths.
>But I tried both 'octave-cli.exe' and 'octave-cli-4.1.0+.exe' (both with and
>without administrator privilege) but I get the same result.
>.
>Also, if I add CCFLAGS to the start of the command then I get the error that
>c++ compiler cannot create executables!!!
>.
>Also, I tried 'pacman', 'apt-get', 'yum' but there seems to be nothing like
>these on octave bash shell.
>How do I install a library/package then?
>.

You need add msys2 path and also use msys2 tools from bash shell on octave.

#octave prompt
cd (build directory path) #build directory
system bash #goto bash

#bash prompt

export PATH=$PATH:/c/msys64/usr/bin # enable use tools on msys2.

>Also, I tried 'pacman', 'apt-get', 'yum' but there seems to be nothing like
>these on octave bash shell.
>How do I install a library/package then?

There is no such system on *native* windows. Each application has its own
installer.
The msys2 is an exception. That is a tool which provide many applications and
libraries
through pacman package manager.

However, octave-4.1.0+ is built with gcc-4.9.3 with win32 thread model
while applications and libraries build with gcc-5.4.0 with posix tread model.
In principle, there is compatibility problem of shared libraries of C and C++
so that we cannot use libraries on msys2.

Yesterday I consulted pytave web site and cloned source code.

You have to build python2 and boost using gcc-4.9.3 embedded with octave-4.1.0+
on windows.

For, python2 there is a possibility to use windows binaries on python web site
because it has a *static library* "libpython27.a" for mingw compiler
while python binary seems to be build with Microsoft compiler.
To install python2 binary, go to the python web site and download python 2.7
binaries for 64 bit.

For boost, there seems to be no other way build by yourself and seem to be
different from
build on unix.

Tatsuro