Major change in C++ doc strings

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Major change in C++ doc strings
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 16:33:40 -0400

I checked in the following changeset so now docstrings in C++ files are comments rather than C strings.

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/112b20240c87

This is quite a disruptive change, but I think it is worth doing because it will make writing docstrings much easier since you will no longer need to write \n\ at the end of every line, or \" to escape quotation marks inside the docstring text.

I've also changed the build system so that it doesn't use the C preprocessor to generates intermediate .df files that contain info about DEFUN functions. Any info about DEFUN functions that is needed by the build system is extracted directly from the source files.

See also this bug report:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=36524