Re: Major change in C++ doc strings

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Major change in C++ doc strings
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 09:42:10 +0200

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 04:33:40PM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> I checked in the following changeset so now docstrings in C++ files are
> comments rather than C strings.
>
>   http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/112b20240c87
>
> This is quite a disruptive change,

Packages may have more difficulties with such changes than core
Octave, because they may attempt to be compatible with different
versions of Octave.

It's not beyond me to cope with such issues (being compatible with
Octave before and after the change) in packages (already did so for
the change in error handling), but wouldn't it be more suitable to
have recommended ways (possibly including ready-made configure tests,
or even compatibility macros) for particular issues like that for
Octave Forge packages?  Maybe you already have a suggestion regarding
the change in docstrings? Maybe others would like to discuss it?

Olaf