Re: A word about C++11 (my humble opinion)

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: A word about C++11 (my humble opinion)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 13:41:01 -0400

On 06/22/2016 11:33 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:26:48 +0200, Julien Bect wrote:
Just wanted to share my disappointment: I just realized that, because of the
introduction of C++11 features, the "parallel" package cannot be installed
on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
[...]
I haven't tested, but the same can be said of Debian Wheezy (7.0), which was
released in 2013 and will reach its LTS end of life in May 2018.  Wheezy has
gcc 4.7, with a better but still incomplete support of C++11...
Correct, I would say the same thing about Debian 7. I still have a
Debian 7 server running that I haven't gotten around to updating, but I
wouldn't expect to be able to run the latest software on it, only to
keep it running as is with the software that was packaged for it.
Right---the development target environment has to be the latest available. After all, new versions of the compiler could fail to compile old code, and the only sane approach is to track the code to the newest compiler.

BTW, I think that the parallel package built with newer versions of GCC should run on the old system---you just can't compile it yourself on the old system, right?