[Re: Request for Comments: Release 4.2] Spreadsheet I/O?

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: [Re: Request for Comments: Release 4.2] Spreadsheet I/O?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 14:33:29 -0700 (PDT)

Rik-4 wrote
> All,
>
> The Octave maintainers are considering a 4.2 release this fall in order to
> coincide with the Debian 9 release.
>
> To be included Octave would need to be ready for packaging by October
> 15th.  This suggests starting with a release candidate on September 1st.
>
> Given that there are still 2 months of development time, what should the
> priority projects be this summer?

Are there still plans to move xlsread and friends into core Octave? together
with the xmlread/xmlwrite functions?

For some time I have an io package version (not in mercurial) where most
duplicate spreadsheet I/O functions have been eliminated, I plan to merge it
into the io package after a next bug 2.4.2 fix release (soon now).

This project would need some discussion as to what support SW interfaces
could be moved over; i.e,. which of the Java-based and COM-based interfaces.
The "native" interface only supports .xlsx, .ods (slow) and .gnumeric.
I am willing to prepare it into a cset that could be moved into core right
away, once I get some directions.

> Not that I know how to resolve it, but I would put Ctrl+C handling near
> the
> top as well as any bugs in the build system.

Those would be my choice for top priority as well.

There are several bugs and patches for the graphics system that need
attention. Selecting category "OpenGL" alone yields 40 confirmed entries in
the bug tracker.
My favorite (but hard to fix before Sept. 1st isn't it) would be the
single-precision issue in OpenGL that leads to jagged plots.

Philip