Re: build failure

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: build failure
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 11:45:49 -0400

On 06/24/2016 10:44 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Jun 24, 2016, at 8:54 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jun 24, 2016, at 08:39, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

On 24 Jun 2016, at 03:28, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

I tried jwe’s earlier suggestion to me, and it worked.

$ make libinterp/corefcn/oct-tex-parser.cc
YACC     libinterp/corefcn/oct-tex-parser.cc
updating libinterp/corefcn/oct-tex-parser.output
updating libinterp/corefcn/oct-tex-parser.h

Ben

Thanks, this worked for me too!

But if I delete the whole build directory then do

configure && make

I still get the problem so there might still be something
to fix in the build process?

Shall I submit a bug?

c.

Yes. There is a problem building from scratch. I assume this is a blocker?

I'll browse the makefile when I have time and see if I can determine where the
logic is failing.

Ben

Carlo, does the attached work for you?

John, does the attached changeset look correct?

Does it work for you? That's the same kind of dependency that is listed for oct-parse.{h,cc,yy}, but it still doesn't solve all the problems for me. I'm also not sure why the rules for oct-parse and oct-tex-parser were different.

In any case, the .h file doesn't really depend on the .cc file, so that's not the correct dependency. It does solve the problem of being able to do

  make oct-tex-parser.h

when oct-tex-parser.cc does not exist because the dependency chain will then cause the .cc file to be generated and, as a side effect, the .h file will also be created. But this change doesn't solve the problem of creating the .h file when it is missing but the .cc file is present.

What we really want is a set of rules that tells make that %.h and %.cc are both generated by one invocation of bison so that the rule is triggered (but only once!) when either or both are missing. The suffix rules generated by automake rules don't do that, and I don't think there is any way to make a suffix rule do that properly. So I think this is really an automake bug, but one that is not likely to be fixed unless it becomes possible to generate modern GNU Make style Makefiles.

I checked in the following changeset in an attempt to work around the problem:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/b5e75ce299d8