Re: 1D PDE solver for Octave

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: 1D PDE solver for Octave
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:31:57 +0000

On 29 Jun 2016, at 19:29, Bill Greene <address@hidden> wrote:

> The function is implemented as a C++ mex file. It depends very
> heavily on the Sundials ida ODE solver, somewhat less heavily
> on the Eigen C++ matrix class library, and a couple of libraries
> from Boost.

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in contributing to Octave!

I'd like to know more about what you are doing in order
to provide more informed suggestions.

I'm not sure what you intend by "C++ MEX file" MEX is a C API,
Octave has its own C++ API.

You say you are relying on sundias IDA, are you using
IDA's own C API or the MEX interface?

There is another ongoing project to implement matlab
compatible ode15s and ode15i via and interface to sundias IDA [1,2].

So in the near future there will be also an oct-file interface to
IDA which based on initial benchamarking is substantially
faster than the MEX file interface distributed with sundials.

I am also curious about what algorithm does your code exactly
implement because IDA and PDEPE are based on completely different
mathematical methods so I'm not sure what you are actually doing ...

c.

[1] http://gsoc2016ode15s.blogspot.it/
[2] https://bitbucket.org/Francesco_Faccio/octave/