Re: Fwd: Re: make failed

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: make failed
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 15:29:25 -0700

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 17:18:17 +0200, Ernst Reissner wrote:
> During make a lot of warnings come up like:
>

>   GEN      doc/interpreter/gplot.txt
> warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
> Some output formats are not available.
> warning: called from
>     __print_parse_opts__ at line 382 column 9
>     print at line 313 column 8
>     sparseimages>sombreroimage at line 233 column 7
>     sparseimages at line 38 column 5
>   GEN      doc/interpreter/grid.txt
> warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
> Some output formats are not available.
> warning: called from
>     __print_parse_opts__ at line 382 column 9
>     print at line 313 column 8
>     sparseimages>sombreroimage at line 233 column 7
>     sparseimages at line 38 column 5
>   GEN      doc/interpreter/spmatrix.txt
>

>    sparseimages at line 38 column 5
>   MAKEINFO ../doc/interpreter/octave.info
> doc/interpreter/sparse.texi:672: warning: @image file `spmatrix.txt'
> (for text) unreadable: No such file or directory.
> doc/interpreter/sparse.texi:1053: warning: @image file `spmatrix.txt'
> (for text) unreadable: No such file or directory.
> doc/interpreter/sparse.texi:1105: warning: @image file `spchol.txt' (for
> text) unreadable: No such file or directory.
> doc/interpreter/sparse.texi:1110: warning: @image file `spcholperm.txt'
> (for text) unreadable: No such file or directory.
>   GEN      doc/interpreter/gplot.eps
> warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
> Some output formats are not available.
> warning: called from
>     __print_parse_opts__ at line 382 column 9
>     print at line 313 column 8
>     sparseimages>sombreroimage at line 233 column 7
>     sparseimages at line 38 column 5
>   GEN      doc/interpreter/grid.eps
>

> maybe it is really better to have epstool, but as i said, could not find
> it on linux.

Ernst, thank you for providing the additional build output. You have
actually hit a bug in the build process. I know the interactions between
the various components that print the figures and build the user manual
can get complicated, but what's shown here was enough for me to be able
to reproduce this error and fix it.

If you pull from the hg repository, you should be able to build now.

The error was in a script that generates some images for the user manual
having to do with sparse matrices. You are building without the
SuiteSparse library (perhaps not intentionally), and the logic to handle
that case was not well tested and buggy. So thank you for triggering
this bug.

Fixed here:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/6267807eb70b

None of which has anything to do with epstool. There may still be errors
due to missing epstool, and maybe the build should do a better job of
catching, enforcing, or working around those errors, rather than failing
in obscure ways.

--
mike