Re: Fwd: Re: make failed

From: Ernst Reissner
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: make failed
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 18:40:00 +0200

On 07/01/2016 12:29 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 17:18:17 +0200, Ernst Reissner wrote:
>> During make a lot of warnings come up like:
>>

>>   GEN      doc/interpreter/gplot.txt
>> warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
>> Some output formats are not available.
>> warning: called from
>>     __print_parse_opts__ at line 382 column 9
>>     print at line 313 column 8
>>     sparseimages>sombreroimage at line 233 column 7
>>     sparseimages at line 38 column 5
>>   GEN      doc/interpreter/grid.txt
>> warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
>> Some output formats are not available.
>> warning: called from
>>     __print_parse_opts__ at line 382 column 9
>>     print at line 313 column 8
>>     sparseimages>sombreroimage at line 233 column 7
>>     sparseimages at line 38 column 5
>>   GEN      doc/interpreter/spmatrix.txt
>>

>>    sparseimages at line 38 column 5
>>   MAKEINFO ../doc/interpreter/octave.info
>> doc/interpreter/sparse.texi:672: warning: @image file `spmatrix.txt'
>> (for text) unreadable: No such file or directory.
>> doc/interpreter/sparse.texi:1053: warning: @image file `spmatrix.txt'
>> (for text) unreadable: No such file or directory.
>> doc/interpreter/sparse.texi:1105: warning: @image file `spchol.txt' (for
>> text) unreadable: No such file or directory.
>> doc/interpreter/sparse.texi:1110: warning: @image file `spcholperm.txt'
>> (for text) unreadable: No such file or directory.
>>   GEN      doc/interpreter/gplot.eps
>> warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
>> Some output formats are not available.
>> warning: called from
>>     __print_parse_opts__ at line 382 column 9
>>     print at line 313 column 8
>>     sparseimages>sombreroimage at line 233 column 7
>>     sparseimages at line 38 column 5
>>   GEN      doc/interpreter/grid.eps
>>

>> maybe it is really better to have epstool, but as i said, could not find
>> it on linux.
> Ernst, thank you for providing the additional build output. You have
> actually hit a bug in the build process. I know the interactions between
> the various components that print the figures and build the user manual
> can get complicated, but what's shown here was enough for me to be able
> to reproduce this error and fix it.
>
> If you pull from the hg repository, you should be able to build now.
>
> The error was in a script that generates some images for the user manual
> having to do with sparse matrices. You are building without the
> SuiteSparse library (perhaps not intentionally), and the logic to handle
> that case was not well tested and buggy. So thank you for triggering
> this bug.
>
> Fixed here:
>
>   http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/6267807eb70b
>
> None of which has anything to do with epstool. There may still be errors
> due to missing epstool, and maybe the build should do a better job of
> catching, enforcing, or working around those errors, rather than failing
> in obscure ways.

Hi Mike,

well, I updated to include your fix.
Things became better but still not ok.
New output ends as follows:

  YACC     libinterp/parse-tree/oct-parse.h
libinterp/parse-tree/oct-parse.output is unchanged
libinterp/parse-tree/oct-parse.h is unchanged
libinterp/parse-tree/oct-parse.cc is unchanged
  YACC     libinterp/corefcn/oct-tex-parser.h
libinterp/corefcn/oct-tex-parser.output is unchanged
libinterp/corefcn/oct-tex-parser.h is unchanged
libinterp/corefcn/oct-tex-parser.cc is unchanged
  GEN      build-aux/mk-f77-def.sh
config.status: creating build-aux/mk-f77-def.sh-tmp
config.status: executing build-aux/mk-f77-def.sh commands
build-aux/mk-f77-def.sh is unchanged
  GEN      build-aux/subst-f77-isnan-macro.sh
config.status: creating build-aux/subst-f77-isnan-macro.sh-tmp
config.status: executing build-aux/subst-f77-isnan-macro.sh commands
build-aux/subst-f77-isnan-macro.sh is unchanged
  GEN      build-aux/subst-script-vals.sh
config.status: creating build-aux/subst-script-vals.sh-tmp
config.status: executing build-aux/subst-script-vals.sh commands
build-aux/subst-script-vals.sh is unchanged
  GEN      build-aux/mk-default-qt-settings.sh
config.status: creating build-aux/mk-default-qt-settings.sh-tmp
config.status: executing build-aux/mk-default-qt-settings.sh commands
build-aux/mk-default-qt-settings.sh is unchanged
  TEXI2DVI doc/interpreter/octave.dvi
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: etex exited with bad status, quitting.
Makefile:27444: recipe for target 'doc/interpreter/octave.dvi' failed
make[2]: *** [doc/interpreter/octave.dvi] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/ernst/Octave/octave/.build'
Makefile:25985: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/ernst/Octave/octave/.build'
make: *** [all] Error 2
address@hidden:~/Octave/octave/.build>

I also wonder why make rebuilds things although I did not change any
source.

Additional output makes it harder to find real problems.

Greetings,

Ernst