Re: Method to clean up MXE directory?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Method to clean up MXE directory?
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 13:58:31 -0400

On 06/27/2016 01:02 PM, Rik wrote:

Does anyone know how to clear the files associated with a specific target?
Or do you just have to go in to the directories underneath the MXE build
directory and start removing files?

Depending on the target (not all are handled in exactly the same way, apparently) you can get the list of files to remove from the file PKG.files or PKG.pkg in the installed-packages directory. But that's far from perfect because not all packages generate these lists.

Here's what I'd like for mxe-octave to do for each package instead:

* install into a temporary directory (some already do this, using DESTDIR=...; we need to make all targets do this consistently)

* create a tar file from the files in that directory and save it (this step is new)

* install the package into the usr/$(TARGET) directory from the tar file (this step would replace the current install step)

* insert the tar file into the dependency chain so that it is possible to remove the usr/$(TARGET) directory and simply reinstall from the tar files instead of rebuilding everything

By using an intermediate tar file like this, we could clean out the usr/$(TARGET) directory and rebuild with a newer version of a single package and be sure that there are no files left over from a previous build of that package that are no longer relevant. And it would be relatively quick because you'd only need to untar the built packages that are already up to date.

It should also be possible to add a target that uninstalls a given package. We could probably do that now just using file lists, but then you have to rebuild it to reinstall. Or the uninstall step could save the files it removes, but that seems a bit convoluted -- we might as well just create an archive of the installed files as part of the installation process.

Stated above this job seems like it shouldn't be too difficult but the mxe-octave makefile is fairly complex. Things are further complicated because not all packages use DESTDIR consistently, or they install or move files separately from doing a "make install" step for a package, and the rules seem slightly different for native vs. cross builds.