Re: Octave build in Windows 10

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave build in Windows 10
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 12:26:51 -0700

On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 08:59:28 -0700, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
> Sasitha Iresh wrote
> > Greeting all,
> >
> > I'm trying to build octave on windows(already done in ubuntu 14.04)
> > but i can't get it done. I tried using code blocks and Microsoft
> > Visual Studio.
> >
> > Can you help with it.
>
> I'm afraid we can't.
> Windows builds are made using mxe-octave and usually cross-compiled on Linux
> hosts.
> mxe-octave can be used natively on Windows as well, but the last attempt by
> someone must have been over a year ago. Or even longer.
> In addition, mxe-octave currently uses the mingw tool chain. MSVC once
> worked but its maintainer hasn't shown for quite while.
> If this isn't enough, building natively (on Windows) takes about 5-8 times
> as long as cross-building on Linux.
>
> Not all good news :-)
>
> If you have Ubuntu, why don't you just cross-build Octave just like all
> developers of Octave for Windows do?

Also it would help us help you if you could explain exactly what your
goal is.

If your goal is to be able to build Octave on Windows using Visual
Studio, then Philip is right, we can't help very much, but we can wish
you good luck! And if you do get it working, please share your results!

If your goal is to be able to run Octave on Windows, please try one of
the pre-built installers or build it yourself using mxe-octave as Philip
also suggested.

Once upon a time there were people interested in keeping Octave
compatible with Visual C++, but there don't appear to be any with time
and interest now.

--
mike