Re: 4.0.3 doesn't build on MacOS X

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: 4.0.3 doesn't build on MacOS X
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 14:46:08 +0000

> On Jul 5, 2016, at 7:10 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 5, 2016, at 02:30, Sebastian <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Am 05.07.2016 um 02:33 schrieb Ben Abbott <address@hidden>:
>>> Perhaps there is a bug that misses the libz when it is in /usr/lib when the
>>> prefix is something else?
>>>
>>> Ben
>> Yes, that's quite possibly. Are you using libz from fink? (homebrew tries to
>> use the preinstalled libs as much as possible). However, the good news: the
>> patch does not hurt in my case.
>>
>> @Marius: did you submit the patch to the tracker?
>>
>> Sebastian
>
> Fink uses Apple's libz.
>
> Ben

I don’t fully understand what is happening, but thought I’d try some
experiments.

Rather than applying the patch to Makefile.in (which is generated by
Makefile.am) I tried direclty specifying zlib’s lib and include directories.

        --with-z-includedir=/usr/include/
        --with-z-libdir=/usr/lib/

Configure found zlib and was able to use it.

        checking zlib.h usability... yes
        checking zlib.h presence... yes
        checking for zlib.h… yes

        Z CPPFLAGS:                  -I/usr/include/
        Z LDFLAGS:                   -L/usr/lib/
        Z libraries:                 -lz

However, make still fails.

Next I tried Jordi’s recent change to /m4/acinclude.m4, this also failed.

Ben