Re: 4.0.3 doesn't build on MacOS X

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: 4.0.3 doesn't build on MacOS X
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 20:56:02 -0700

On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 14:46:08 +0000, Ben Abbott wrote:

> >> Yes, that's quite possibly. Are you using libz from fink? (homebrew tries
> >> to use the preinstalled libs as much as possible). However, the good news:
> >> the patch does not hurt in my case.
> >>
> >> @Marius: did you submit the patch to the tracker?
> >>
> >> Sebastian
> >
> > Fink uses Apple's libz.
> >
> > Ben
>
> I don’t fully understand what is happening, but thought I’d try some
> experiments.
>
> Rather than applying the patch to Makefile.in (which is generated by
> Makefile.am) I tried direclty specifying zlib’s lib and include directories.
>
>       --with-z-includedir=/usr/include/
>       --with-z-libdir=/usr/lib/
>
> Configure found zlib and was able to use it.
>
>       checking zlib.h usability... yes
>       checking zlib.h presence... yes
>       checking for zlib.h… yes
>
>       Z CPPFLAGS:                  -I/usr/include/
>       Z LDFLAGS:                   -L/usr/lib/
>       Z libraries:                 -lz
>
> However, make still fails.
>
> Next I tried Jordi’s recent change to /m4/acinclude.m4, this also failed.

I think this was accidentally broken with this changeset on the stable
branch before 4.0.3:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/44f7664689f2?revcount=20#l5.1

and is probably not noticed on GNU systems because so many other
libraries link with libz.

For example, on my Debian system both libfreetype and libhdf5 are linked
with libz as a dependency, so whether or not Z_LIBS is populated,
liboctinterp will be implicitly linked with libz.

--
mike