Re: Octave build in Windows 10

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Octave build in Windows 10
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 14:16:43 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: Marco Atzeri
> To: LachlanA ; octave-maintainers
> Date: 2016/7/7, Thu 13:14
> Subject: Re: Octave build in Windows 10
>
> On 07/07/2016 05:11, LachlanA wrote:
>>  PhilipNienhuis wrote
>>>  Windows builds are made using mxe-octave and usually cross-compiled on
>>>  Linux hosts.
>>>  mxe-octave can be used natively on Windows as well, but the last
> attempt
>>>  by someone must have been over a year ago. Or even longer.
>>>  In addition, mxe-octave currently uses the mingw tool chain. MSVC once
>>>  worked but its maintainer hasn't shown for quite while.
>>>  If this isn't enough, building natively (on Windows) takes about
> 5-8 times
>>>  as long as cross-building on Linux.
>>
>>  Out of interest, what is the status of building Octave in cygwin?  Is that
>>  supported, bit-rotted or not an option?
>>
>>  Cheers,
>>  Lachlan
>>

> the package is available as cygwin binary.
> It just take longer to build compared to a Linux version
>
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2016-06/msg00064.html
>
> Regards
> Marco

Things mentioned are confusing.

We have to distingush two thing.

1. Cygwin native binary
 This is done by extensive efforts by Marco Atzeri.
 We can easily install binaries from the Cygwin repository like other unixy
systems.
 We may also build dev branch source with the help of source on the Cygwin.
 (Marco. Am I right)

2. Cygwin can be a host of mxe-octave for native windows.
 Cygwin is posix compatible system so it is in principle use it for mxe-octave
(windows native build).
 However, as far as I know, there are few (no?) attempts to do that.
 I am now trying to do it but it seem not to be easy.
 Cygwin specific treatments should be added because it is not *true* posix
system.

Tatsuro