Re: floating point precision control

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: floating point precision control
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 15:28:03 -0400

On 07/10/2016 03:48 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
jwe, all,

We still have a couple possibly-related bugs, that the same tests that
were failing on Windows with a 32-bit Octave also fail with a 64-bit
Octave, and the FP control word setting doesn't seem to affect it at all
in this case (bugs #48364 and #48365).

Isn't the FP control word and extended precision specific to x86 hardware?

Did you look at this mailing list thread?  I've only started to read it.

  http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0103.0/0453.html

Maybe we should just try to do the best we can with 64-bit IEEE arithmetic and not try to use extended precision since it is impossible to always use 80-bit precision everywhere (intermediate values may be stored in 64-bit memory locations, for example) and a mixture of 64- and 80-bit arithmetic seems like it may be asking for unpredictable results?