Re: About the "pre-built installers" on the OF website

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: About the "pre-built installers" on the OF website
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 13:08:51 +0200

Le 15/07/2016 à 12:30, Carnë Draug a écrit :
Many people still end up in the Octave Forge page when looking for Octave core.

Yes, and the first link on the OF index page is already a link to the "Octave core" website ;-)

We should keep the links somewhere although I agree that the text could be improved.

This is exactly what I propose : simply keep a link to the Octave "Download" page, where all this information *already* is (Windows installer, link to Mac OS instructions, etc.).

Something like (the formulation can be improved):

Please refer to "Download GNU Octave" for information about how to install GNU Octave on your OS.

The text ended sounding like that because a long time ago, there was no such pages on the wiki, and the only binaries were distributed by OF. With the time, we simply changed the links.

Sure, I know where the OF project comes from (monolithic releases, binaries, etc.) although I wasn't there at the time...

I am merely suggesting that now is perhaps a good time to turn this page ;-)

@++
Julien