Re: Yet another GUI Builder for Octave

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Yet another GUI Builder for Octave
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 11:14:05 -0700

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 09:35:24 -0700, marcalexandre wrote:
> Wow,
> I see a lot of interest for this project.

Yes, very good work, if I didn't say so before.

So do you have a code repository hosted somewhere yet for people to try
this out? Would you like help setting something up? I wonder if
developing it separately for a while might be better than posting a code
dump on the patch tracker. But no harm in doing either or both.

> @Mike Miller,
> Yes that could also be great. It will leave the user the freedom to use his
> preferred GUI Builder.
> I didn't have a look at Qt ui syntax yet, but in that sens, the idea could
> be to create a kind of "correspondence table" associating Qt, Glade or
> whatever GUI Builder syntax keywords to the corresponding Octave ui*
> function.

Yes exactly.

> Thanks also for your explanations about shared variables. I still think that
> for callbacks, we are not obliged to use nested functions. Sub-functions
> also work great. Am I wrong or missing something ?

No, you are not wrong. Lachlan's assertion was that nested functions are
commonly used in Matlab to implement such callbacks. I can't say wheher
that is true or not, but the scoping behavior with nested functions is
an advantage. With subfunctions the user might have to use global
workspace variables to share state.

I wouldn't consider the lack of handles to nested functions to be a
blocker.

> Now regarding Glade, the main reason I chose it, is that it is available on
> all operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac). Windows and Mac versions are
> not the newest ones, but work great. In fact, I use Glade for windows to
> test my idea. It is a very small software (~16 MB) and is installed very
> quickly on Win without any requirements.

Qt Creator is also available on all of the above operating systems.

--
mike