Re: GSL in octave

From: Susi Lehtola
Subject: Re: GSL in octave
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 12:16:03 -0700

On 07/17/2016 02:32 AM, Julien Bect wrote:
Hi Susi,

I think that the first thing to do, if you hope to get more feedback
from people on this list, is to provide a ready-to-test (or
easy-to-generate) package tarball.

To help you with that, I took the liberty to push on the gsl repo a
Makefile that can be used create a package tarball as simply as "make
dist" (or "make release" if you also want to create a documentation
tarball, but this is mostly useful at release time).  I suggest you
should pull this t your own clone.

This Makefile is essentially the one written by Carnë and Oliver for
other packages, to which I made some minor changes (which, I hope, are
correct, but I am no Makefile expert).  The first change adds a
src/configure target.  The second one enforces a lowercase package name
in tarball filenames; apparently Octave refuses to install GSL-1.2.0.tar.gz.

Thanks!

I created a new test tarball at
https://jussilehtola.fedorapeople.org/gsl-1.2.0.tar.gz

Now the configure time checks apply for all the autogenerated functions.

First attempt after all this (with Octave 4.0.3 on Debian Jessie): the
tarball fails to install with the error message reported below.  The
simple truth is, I don't have libgsl-dev installed... but shouldn't this
be reported by configure and therefore block the rest of the build
process? Anyway, I don't know if this is a problem with the package or
with the pkg function in Octave.

Second attempt, after installing libgsl-dev: it's better, but I still
get a bunch of error related to missing *.cc.template files (see second
log below).  Did I forget to do something while preparing the tarball?

No looks like I somehow forgot to commit two template files. Everything should be now included.

I'm not really familiar with how the add-ons are supposed to work. Does "pkg build" run configure?
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor