Re: GSL in octave

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: GSL in octave
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 23:03:42 +0200

Le 18/07/2016 à 22:42, Susi Lehtola a écrit :
On 07/17/2016 11:00 PM, Julien Bect wrote:
Hi Susi,

As Marco and Tatsuro already told you, this tarball is wrong because the
configure file is missing.

I have provided a Makefile that handles the packaging process, please
use it.  You juste have to do "make dist" and the tarball will be ready
in the target subdirectory.  Unless something is wrong with the
Makefile, bootstrap should be run automatically and therefore you should
have configure in the src directory.

But I *did* run bootstrap before running make dist. Well, I found the culprit:

$ ls src/configure
src/configure
$ make dist
$ ls target/gsl-1.2.0/src/configure
ls: cannot access 'target/gsl-1.2.0/src/configure': No such file or directory

I fixed the makefile to run bootstrap like in the image package.
Now it works properly.

Ok sorry, you're right, there was a problem with the Makefile. I fixed it as well on the OF repo (although in a slightly different manner).

I have pushed most of your changes to the OF repo. You will notice that I have folded several of your changesets into one for clarity. Perhaps should you restart now from a fresh clone of the OF repo.

Generating tests may be somewhat problematic, since the package is just a wrapper around gsl, so it will be more a test of gsl than of the wrapper. And there's a huge number of functions, and there's the question of how to obtain reference values for the tests...

Yes, the package is just a wrapper around gsl, but a few tests at least are needed to test that the wrapper itself works properly, don't you think?

----

Concerning the dependencies, the DESCRIPTION file only mentions "octave (>= 2.9.7)".

a) Can you really build on such an old release of Octave? Can anyone try on 3.8.x? 3.6.x?

b) Shouldn't there be a depency on the gsl library? Which version of gsl do we need to require?

----

@++
Julien