Re: GSL in octave

From: Susi Lehtola
Subject: Re: GSL in octave
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 19:09:44 -0700

On 07/18/2016 02:03 PM, Julien Bect wrote:
I have pushed most of your changes to the OF repo.  You will notice that
I have folded several of your changesets into one for clarity. Perhaps
should you restart now from a fresh clone of the OF repo.

What do you mean by "most"?

Generating tests may be somewhat problematic, since the package is
just a wrapper around gsl, so it will be more a test of gsl than of
the wrapper. And there's a huge number of functions, and there's the
question of how to obtain reference values for the tests...

Yes, the package is just a wrapper around gsl, but a few tests at least
are needed to test that the wrapper itself works properly, don't you think?

Well yes, I guess it would be good to write up some very simple tests to see that the wrapper templates work properly.

Concerning the dependencies, the DESCRIPTION file only mentions "octave

a) Can you really build on such an old release of Octave? Can anyone try
on 3.8.x? 3.6.x?

I just tried on 3.4.6 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6) and it seems to build just fine. But, I noticed that the version of gsl (1.13) is a bit too old for the wrappers to build, since some function APIs have changed in GSL 2.

b) Shouldn't there be a depency on the gsl library? Which version of gsl
do we need to require?

I guess it'd be safe to require GSL version 2. GSL version specific templates sound a bit too much hassle...
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor